1st Day: San Giovanni Rotondo
Arrival in the beautiful country town of San Giovanni Rotondo, a town rich in religious faith and culture. Accommodation in a selected hotel to offer you a comfortable and pleasant journey.
2nd Day: Mont Saint Angelo / Vieste
Breakfast and departure for Monte S.Angelo, the highest town in Gargano, 843 metres above sea level. Tour of its three cultural treasures – St. Michael Archangel Cave, The Medieval Baptistery and St. Mary Major Church. We continue on to the Umbrian Forest in the heart of the Gargano National Park, walking through the forest shaded by pine, maple, ash and ilex trees we will enjoy the beautiful scenery.
We continue our tour with a visit to Vieste, one of the most desirable destinations for tourists from all over Europe. Lunch of typical Apulian specialities and wine. In the afternoon, exploration of the picturesque historical centre, dating back to medieval times, with its narrow interlaced alleys and houses leaning out onto the crystal sea. Return to the hotel, dinner and overnight stay.
3rd Day: Trani / Castel del Monte
Departure for Trani and visit to the wonderful Cathedral of St. Nicole the Pilgrim, one of the most refined examples of Romanic Apulian architecture. We continue on to Castel del Monte a town that due to its beauty and uniqueness, has been included by UNESCO in the World Heritage Guide.
Lunch at a local farm of cheese, cold cuts, vegetables and hors-d’oeuvres. Walking through the town we will see the ‘Stone Crown’, a wonderful castle renowned for its octagonal form and symbolism, having a most mysterious ediface commissioned by Frederic 2nd of Sweden. We continue on to Alberobello. Accommodation in hotel, dinner and overnight stay.
4th Day: Matera / Alberobello
Breakfast and departure for a visit to a dairy farm near Putignano. Here we will watch and assist in the production of mozzarella, cottage cheese and provola and later enjoy a tasting. We continue on to Matera, the Stone City, considered by the World Heritage Guide, to be one of the most unique cities in the world.
Matera is a city of entrenched villages, country houses built in hollowed out rock, stone churches decorated with frescoes and Roman and Baroque monuments. Matera, as a city, is similar in style to the city of Jerusalem. After lunch, we continue on to the Castellana Grottoes, a geographical miracle of nature, rich in stalagtites and stalagmites. Return to the hotel and depart for Costernino, a town whose houses are built in oriental style, with their hidden courts and external staircases. Dinner in a local restaurant with delicious hor-d’oeuvres and roast meat. Return to the hotel for the overnight stay.
5th Day: Locorotondo / Ostuni
Breakfast and depart for our visit to Alberobello, a town built on two hills and abundant with almond and olive trees. Alberobello is also famous for its ‘trulli’ – unique stone constructions, and which, when it snows, provide breathtaking scenary. Departure for Locorotondo, a town built on the top of a hill, and surrounded by rolling countryside.
Locorotondo is famous for its produciton of exquisite white wine. Lunch on a farm of typical local products and the possibility of attending a cooking lesson. We continue our excursion with a visit toOstuni, a town of white trulli and surrounded by sparkling blue sea. The numerous churches to be seen in Ostuni make this a wonderful town for lovers of architecture. Its typical cuisine is derived from local products such as fine quality olive oil, seasonal vegetables and exquisite cheeses. Stop for a tasting in a famous oil pressing factory. Dinner and overnight stay in hotel.
6th Day: Lecce / Otranto
Breakfast and departure for Lecce, the main town of the Salento area and also called ‘The Florence of the South’ because of its spectacular architecture. Among its many treasures is the famous Roman Amphitheatre which in the past could hold 20,000 spectators! Also worth visiting is the Castle of Charles V, built by the military architect Gian Giacomo dell’Acaja.
Close to the castle is one of the most important theatres in the area- the Politeama Greek Theatre. We continue on to Otranto, also known as the ‘Oriental Door’. Its cathedral is an architectural masterpiece as is its famous Aragonese Castle, where recently further excavation has unearthed a moat and a draw bridge. The baroque church of Saint Maria dei Martiri is another noteworthy attraction and is visited by pilgrams and tourists throughout the year. This cathedral is built on a large hill close to the monastery of the Minimum Friars. Lunch in a typical restaurant of local fresh fish. Return to the hotel. Dinner and overnight stay.
7th Day: Departure
Breakfast and departure for Bari. This city has wonderful scenery overlooking both sea and land. It also has some outstanding monuments such as the Cathedral of Saint Sabine and the Basilica of Saint Nicola. The cuisine of Apulia is renowned throughtout the world for its local production of sweet olives, savoury breads, cakes, olive oil, pickled olives, dried tomatoes and roast chestnuts. Possibility of lunch in a local restaurant and then transfer to airport. End of our service.
- full board starting with dinner on the 1st day and ending with breakfast on the last day 7th day (gourmet lunches included)
- 3 stars superior hotel accommodation; room with private services (classification of hotel according to the Italian standard)
- guide/tour escort service for the whole tour (from the morning on the 2nd day to the morning on the 7th day - everything included, taxes, expenses for the whole tour, transport,etc. – except in Matera where you will have a local guide)
- full day guided tour of Mont Sant’Angelo and Vieste on the 2nd day
- full day guided tour of Trani and Castello del Monte on the 3rd day
- half day guided tour of Matera (2 hours) on the 4th day
- half day guided tour of Grotte di Castellana on the 4th day
- visit to a dairy farm and tasting of local products on the 4th day
- full day guided tour of Locorotondo and Ostuni on the 5th day
- visit to an oil press factory and tasting on the 5th
- full day guided tour of Lecce and Otranto on the 6th day
- cooking demonstration on the 6th day
- half day guided tour of Bari on the 7th day
- lunches in typical restaurants (rustic style) with high quality produce and local menu
- a personalized booklet with all relevant information necessary for your stay
- our assistance throughout the whole stay
- all services specified in the above program
- entry fees to the sites
- bus services according to the above program (parking included) see the supplement
- all services not specified in the above program
Monte S. Angelo Tomba de Rotari
Castel del Monte
Grotte di Castellana
Ostuni National Museum
Matera Traditional cottages and Churches